Thursday, November 19, 2009

Chrome OS Is Here!

Oh, now look what happened while I was at school.  Google demoed Chrome OS!  The Chromium OS source code was released as well.

Alright, so maybe we won't be seeing actual Chrome OS machines until later... but hey, you can always get Chromium OS.

Now I have to say, I am disappointed at the fact that you can't just go download Chrome OS.  You'll have to buy machines with the OS preinstalled.  Also, it won't work with hard drives, only SSDs.  Keep in mind, though, that the average user doesn't want to have to deal with getting things to work... the average user just wants things to work.  I think that's what we'll be seeing once machines with Chrome OS start hitting the market.

Is this good?  Is this bad?  I honestly don't know.  The consumers will determine what happens to Chrome OS.  In the meantime, I'll be trying to test Chromium OS on one of my laptops.  Will it work?  Doubtful.  But hey, it's worth a shot.  If it does happen to work, I'll report back here.

Here's the VMware image.  There are a few things that haven't yet been implemented in this version (the menu in the top-left corner, for one) and the menus look like something straight out of Windows 95... but hey, it's Chromium OS.

Link removed because you guys overloaded it. XD




blog comments powered by Disqus